SO MUCH OF OUR
FUTURE LIES IN
PRESERVING OUR PAST
Established in 1963, the Chatham Historical Society is a nonprofit organization with the purpose of preserving East Hampton's History
Thank you for visiting the Connecticut Historical Society of East Hampton. This website intends to provide information to the public about the Chatham Historical Society's events and programs and the changing content of exhibits on display in the Society's School House and newly opened Museum, both located on 6 Bevin Boulevard in East Hampton's Historical Village Center.
The Chatham Historical Society Museum is open to the public the
first Sunday of each month from 2-4pm
Admission is always free. Donations are appreciated.
Lake Pocotopaug is surrounded by numerous homes. Most are year-round residences, although some summer vacation cottages dot the shore. It is especially noted for two islands in its center, separated by a narrow, shallow strait (both of which have cabins). Many summer resorts were built around the Lake's History during the 1940's. The influx of visitors to this beautiful area increased in part due to the availability of the rail travel from New York and surrounding areas.
Built in 1791 and named by General Comstock, the Comstock Bridge spans the Salmon River and connects East Hampton to Colchester, CT. In the 1930s The Comstock Bridge was extensively renovated by the Civilian Conservation Corps and is listed on the National Register of CT Historic Places.
Bevin Bell MFG.
Through the years more than 30 companies have made bells in East Hampton, CT earning it the nickname of Bell Town USA. Bevin Brothers is the only remaining bell manufacturer in East Hampton and still remains in the Bevin family.
East Hampton, CT History