N.N. Brass Hill FactoryEast Hampton History
Norman N. Hill
Between 1901 and 1902 Hill developed the Sterling Continuous Ringing Chimes, which was the precursor to the thumb operated handlebar bell found on bicycles throughout the 20th century. Hill developed this product into a line of over 100 styles of classic bicycle bells, in addition to producing more conventional lines of sleigh, hand, door, tea, and call bells, as well as bells for toys, rattles, and electric bells and gongs. A Hartford Courant article from 1902 noted that, “The factory is one of the largest and best equipped in the state for the manufacture of small bells… The bells are sold all over the world and have a fine reputation for excellence of castings, finish of workmanship, clearness and resonance of tone.” Over 125 hands were employed at the plant at the time in which the aforementioned article was published. This likely increased around 1910, when a three-story, 100’ x 41’ addition was constructed on the north side of the existing plant. The expansion supplemented the existing foundry and two manufacturing blocks, which were powered by a water-driven turbine generator through the 1910s.
The N.N. Hill Company and Watrous Manufacturing Company also made bells and bell toys with the Hill Company in East Hampton having a contract to produce Disney characters in the 1930s.
Norman N. Hill died in the Town of East Hampton, CT on February 18, 1950, however the N.N. Hill Brass Company continued to occupy its Skinner Street plant until 1960. Today the complex is owned by Epoch Arts, Inc., a non-profit origination focused on the arts.
We invite all residents to share their history and stories with us. We can come to a person’s residence or set up a meeting at our museum, East Hampton Library or Senior Center. If you’d like to be interviewed or know someone that is willing, please contact us!