Hurd State Park
Hurd State Park in East Hampton is one of the oldest state parks in Connecticut.
Connecticut State Park
Hurd Park is a public recreation area lying adjacent to George Dudley Seymour State Park on the east bank of the Connecticut River in the town of East Hampton, Connecticut. In addition to offering hiking, picnicking, and mountain biking, it is one of four Connecticut State Parks that offer primitive camping for boaters on the Connecticut River.
This park is a designated “walk-in” facility. Parking is available at the main gate and near the gate at the intersection of Route 151 and Hurd Park Road. Other Amenities: Cross Country Skiing, Fishing, Picnic Shelters, Hiking Trails, Mountain Bike Trails
This Historic Park is one of the oldest in Connecticut. The first parcel was acquired in 1914, shortly after the establishment of a State Park Commission. The state purchased 150 acres from Russell Dart as part of an initiative to obtain land for public use along the Connecticut River. Dart also donated Dart Island State Park. Sherwood Island State Park in Westport and Mount Tom State Park in Litchfield were also created about this time and are the oldest state parks Connecticut.
The park is named after the Hurd family, whose first member, John Hurd, settled in Eastham, after journeying across the Atlantic from the Highlands of Scotland in 1685. John later moved to the Middle Haddam section of East Hampton.
Dates of Operationfor Camping : May-Sept.
Three boat camping areas along the Connecticut River at Hurd, Gillette Castle and Selden Neck State Parks are managed by the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection for your enjoyment. The campsites are available from May 1 through September 30 exclusively for overnight stops by those traveling on the river. Campground: reservations are needed at least two weeks before intended stay, and is limited to one night. Park Campground is acessible only by canoe offering primitive riverside sites with fireplaces, pit toilets.
Activities Include: birding, hiking, mountain biking, picnicking, camping and hiking.
East Hampton, CT
More East Hampton activities for the entire family
The Comstock Covered Bridge is located on 14 Bridge Street at the junction of Colchester and East Hampton crossing the Salmon River.
Air Line Trail
The Old Air Line Trail State Park in East Hampton dates from the 1870s, and today draws walkers, runners, hikers, horseback riders and bikers.
Village of East Hampton, CT A view of down town East Hampton looking northward with the Carrier Block building and Barton Hill Rd. on the left. This historic East Hampton Photo from the 1940s was taken from the Air Line Railroad bridge that crossed over Main Street....read more
EHPP Newsletter Local Problems Require Local Solutions Speak Out and Arts Response Pictured above is the cast and crew of An Arts Response. This was the culmination of the East Hampton Prevention Partnership Educational series with Epoch Arts. This brave and...read more
Sunday - May 19th @ 1:00The Chatham Historical Society has rescheduled the walking tour of the Village of East Hampton to Sunday, May 19th at 1 pm as part of its "Explore East Hampton" monthly series of walks. Come for a walk back in time and learn about the proud and...read more
Welcome to the Official East Hampton, CT Historical Society Website. This site intends to provide information to the public about the Chatham Historical Society’s upcoming Calendar Events and Programs with the purpose of bringing together people interested in the History of Cobalt, Middle Haddam, and East Hampton, CT
Follow us on Social Media