CHS MuseumARTIFACTS AND MEMORABILIA
Museum and School House
The Chatham Historical Society Museum is jam packed with Historic Artifacts from Middle Haddam, Cobalt, and East Hampton History. The CHS Museum highlights include an extensive Bevin Bell collection dating back to the early 1800s; Connecticut shipbuilding portrayal dating back to the 1700s; Indian Arrowheads found around Lake Pocotopaug; Antique Toys made by The Gong Bell Manufacturing Company and Watrous Manufacturing Company and so much more.
The Chatham Historical Society Museum and School House are both located at 6 Bevin Blvd in the Town of East Hampton, CT and is open to the public the first Sunday of each month from 2-4pm.
For special appointments please contact us
Museum ExhibitsHere is a sneak peak
About the School House
The one-room school house was previously located on Chestnut Hill and was one of a series of “district” or close to home schools which dotted East Hampton’s map during the 1800’s, and which preceded the days of road transportation as we now know it. The Chestnut Hill school house was donated to The Chatham Historical Society by Joseph and Ann Terp Walters, dismantled in 1980, then moved and reconstructed on a half-acre Bevin Boulevard parcel donated by the family of Chauncey Bevin in 1965.
Welcome To Our WebsiteThe Chatham Historical Society is dedicated to preserving, promoting, and sharing knowledge about our community’s extraordinarily rich but not always evident history. This website intends to provide information to the public about the Chatham Historical Society’s activities and programs and the changing content of exhibits on display in the Society’s 1840 one- room school house and newly opened museum, both located on Bevin Boulevard in East Hampton CT’s historic Village Center.
which includes an 1840 one-room school house and a museum, opened in 2006.
The present museum houses artifacts and memorabilia
that tell the stories of East Hampton, Middle Haddam and Cobalt history.
Follow us on Social Media